I’ve always been a big fan of sleep but like many, over the years the habit of checking my social media at night has kept me up and well past my bedtime. And of course, it’s easy to get caught up in some exciting ‘late night’ TV.
The truth is if we fail to get sufficient sleep, we build up a sleep debt. And the symptoms of sleep deprivation are wide and varied and can actually affect your life really badly. These symptoms include;
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Depressed mood
- Difficulty learning new concepts
- Inability to concentrate or a fuzzy head (“um, sounds familiar”)
- Lack of motivation
- Increased appetite and cravings for carbohydrate
- Reduced sex drive.
- Going to bed when you’re tired.
- Following a routine and keeping it consistent.
- Avoiding eating 2-3 hours before bedtime – after all, food is fuel and why would you want a full tank of ‘fuel’ before bedtime?
- Reading is great – there is nothing like a good book to send you off to the land of nod.
- Turn off all electronic devices when you sleep – so no Facebook or social media you night owls!